Little Round Top - Gettysburg, PA
The 44th New York Infantry under command of Colonel James C. Rice occupied this strategic site on Little Round Top July 2nd and 3rd 1863. This monument was dedicated July 3, 1893.
Photo by Laverne Louey in 1999
- - - - - -
Little Round Top is the smaller of two rocky hills south of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. It was the site of an unsuccessful assault by Confederate troops against the Union left flank on July 2, 1863, the second day of the Battle of Gettysburg.
The Battle of Gettysburg, fought July 1–3, 1863, was the battle with the largest number of casualties in the American Civil War and is often described as the war's turning point.