Bahamian Conch Chowder
60 g salt pork or bacon
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 clove garlic
1/2 sprig thyme
2 small green peppers, diced
2 celery sticks, finely sliced
3 medium potatoes, diced
5 ripe tomatoes, or 1 can peeled tomatoes
1/4 cup tomato paste
6 conchs, pounded and diced well
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Fry salt pork or bacon in a pot until golden brown.
2. Add onions, garlic, thyme, peppers and celery to the pot.
3. Cook until soft, then add tomatoes and paste. Stir well.
4. Add diced conch.
5. Put in potatoes. Add sufficient water to cover the mixture.
6. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat, and simmer for 25 minutes.
If preferred, blend when cool.
Bahamian style conch chowder is delicious and a real delicacy for you to try.
unused, bought in 2011