Funiculaire du Vieux Quebec (Old Quebec Funicular)
postmarked in 2012 with a Canadian 'Baby Wildlife - Caribou' stamp 1.05
- - - - - - -
The Old Quebec Funicular is a funicular railway in the Old Quebec neighbourhood of the city of Quebec in Canada. It links the Haute-Ville (Upper Town) to the Basse-Ville (Lower Town).
The funicular opened on November 17, 1879, and originally used the water ballast system of propulsion. The line was converted to electrical operation in 1907. On July 2, 1945, a major fire destroyed the structure, necessitating a rebuild that was completed in 1946. Since then, major renovations have taken place in 1978 and 1998. In 2004 it celebrated 125 years of operating.
- - -
In the center of this postcard you can see the strip of the funicular ....
Vue de Bas-Quebec et du Chateau frontenac depuis le St-Laurent, par une journee d'ete ensoleille.
Lower Quebec and the Chateau Frontenac as seen from the St. Lawrence River on a bright summer's day.
unused, from 2012
- - - - - - -
The Château Frontenac is a grand hotel in Quebec City, Quebec, Canada, which is currently operated as Fairmont Le Château Frontenac. It was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1980. Prior to the building of the hotel, the site was the residence of the British colonial governors of Lower Canada and Quebec.