Queens Park Savannah, Port of Spain, Trinidad.
Postmarked in 2013 with a Junior Carnival Queen on Broadway stamp for $3.75 (Carnival is "We Ting")
- - - - - - -
Queen's Park Savannah is a park in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago. Known colloquially simply as "the Savannah," it is Port of Spain's largest open space. It occupies about 260 acres (1.1 km2) of level land. Once sugar land, it was bought by the town council in 1817 from the Peschier family (except for a small parcel near its centre that served as the Peschier cemetery, which remains in private hands).
At first it was used as a vast cattle pasture in what was then the town's suburbs, but by the middle of the 19th century it had become established as a park. Until the early 1990s, horse racing was held frequently at the Savannah race track, and it also contains several cricket, football and rugby pitches. Apart from a ring of trees round its perimeter, the Savannah was never really landscaped, except for the small area in its northwest corner called the Hollows (see postcard above), a former reservoir now drained and planted with flowering shrubs.