Originally ordered to commemorate the 50th year of Pennsylvania under Penn's Charter of 1701, the bell was cast by Thomas Lister of London. Arriving here in 1752 with an inscription from the Old Testament.
"Proclaim Liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof"
The bell was to hang in the tower of the Pennsylvania State House, later known as Independence Hall. Cracked during testing, it was melted and recast by two Philadelphia foundry-men, Pass and Stow.
On July 4, 1776, the Newly written Declaration of Independence was read to the Continental Congress in the State House. Four days later the bell was rung to alert the people to the public reading of the Declaration.
The Liberty Bell's traditional association with the events of the American Revolution and its prophetic "Proclaim Liberty" inscription, have made it the most cherished and revered symbol of American Freedom.
The Birthplace of Liberty
The Liberty Bell in the Liberty Bell Pavilion on Independence Mall.
This unused postcard is from 2011.