Saturday, September 25, 2010

Rubber Ducks


Two Rubber Ducks

postmarked in 2010 with 4 Great Britain stamps, two blue, one purple and one green

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A rubber duck is a toy shaped like a stylised duck, and is generally yellow with a flat base. The yellow rubber duck has achieved an iconic status in American pop culture and is often symbolically linked to bathing.

Jim Henson popularized rubber ducks in 1970, performing the songs "Rubber Duckie" and "DUCKIE" as Ernie, a popular Muppet from Sesame Street. Ernie frequently spoke to his duck and carried it with him in other segments of the show.  On a special occasion, Little Richard performed the song.

In 2001, The Sun, a British tabloid newspaper reported that Queen Elizabeth II has a rubber duck in her bathroom that wears an inflatable crown. The duck was spotted by a workman who was repainting her bathroom. The story prompted sales of rubber ducks in the United Kingdom to increase by 80% for a short period.

Here are the words to the song:

Rubber Duckie, you're the one,
You make bathtime lots of fun,
Rubber Duckie, I'm awfully fond of you;

Woo woo be doo

Rubber Duckie, joy of joys,
When I squeeze you, you make noise!
Rubber Duckie, you're my very best friend, it's true!

Doo doo doo doo, doo doo

Every day when I 
Make my way to the tubby
I find a little fella who's 
Cute and yellow and chubby

Rub-a-dub-a-dubby!

Rubber Duckie, you're so fine
And I'm lucky that you're mine
Rubber Duckie, I'm awfully fond of you.

Every day when I 
Make my way to the tubby
I find a little fella who's 
Cute and yellow and chubby

Rubber Duckie, you're so fine
And I'm lucky that you're mine
Rubber Duckie, I'm awfully fond of -
Rubber Duckie, I'd like a whole pond of -
Rubber Duckie I'm awfully fond of you!

Doo doo, be doo


No comments: