The Capitol was erected between 1901 -1705 by Henry Cary, Williamsburg's master builder. Until the Revolution, the British flag waved proudly over the old-time Capitol.
Postmarked in 1956 with 3 cent 'Great Lakes Transportation' stamp
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The Capitol at Williamsburg, Virginia was the first Capitol building in America in 1705. A reconstructed version is a centerpiece of Colonial Williamsburg.
The original building was completed in 1705, it burned in 1747, and was rebuilt. The Capitol and the Governor's Palace were the center of the political and social life of Virginia for most of the 18th century. Members of the House of Burgesses which met in the Capitol included Patrick Henry, George Washington, George Mason, and Thomas Jefferson.
After the capital of Virginia was moved to Richmond in 1780 at the beginning of the American Revolution, the old Capitol was used by British forces. After the Battle of Yorktown, and the surrender of Lord Cornwallis, it fell into disrepair and was dismantled for its materials.
Early in the 20th century, the Reverend Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin undertook restoration of historic Bruton Parish Church (circa 1711) where he was rector. His dreams of restoring other buildings of the old colonial capital city led to his affiliation with Standard Oil heir and philanthropist John D. Rockefeller Jr. and the creation of Colonial Williamsburg. The reconstructed Capitol and Governor's Palace join the Wren Building of the College of William and Mary as the three main structures of the restoration.
USA Stamp 1955
Soo Locks 1855
Sault Sainte Marie 1955
A Century of Great Lakes Transportation
Superior, Michigan, Huron, Erie, Ontario