Trinidad & Tobago, West Indies
President's House, Port of Spain, Trinidad
postmarked in 2011 with a Trinidad & Tobago 'Local Herbal Medicine' $3.25 Stamp
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
President's House, built in 1876, is the official residence of the President of Trinidad and Tobago.
From 1876 the house continued to be used as the residence of the Governor of Trinidad and Tobago until 1958, when it became the residence of the Governor-General of the West Indies Federation. Trinidad and Tobago attained independence on 31 August 1962. The house was then used as a museum and Art Gallery for a time, before the it became the residence of the Governors-General once again.
When Trinidad and Tobago became a republic in 1976, the Governor-General's house was subsequently designated as "The President's House", and became the residence of the President of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago.
- - - - - - - -
Here is a postcard from 1972 as the Governor General ....
Residence of the Governor General, adjacent the Royal Botanical Gardens
postmarked in 1972 with a Trinidad and Tobago 20c 'Every Creed & Race Finds an Equal Place' stamp