City Hall, Belfast
In 1888 Queen Victoria gave the town of Belfast the status of City. In response the citizens built the magnificent City Hall which today dominates the heart of Belfast. Work started in 1898 and the building was completed in 1906. The building covers an area of about one acre and a half and is set in gardens which are open to the public. It was built in the Classical Renaissance style in Portland stone and is rectangular in shape, enclosing a quadrangular courtyard. A Porte-Cachere marks the Grand Entrance.
Photo Esler Crawford
Unused John Hinde postcard, from 2012
- - - - - - -
Porte-cochère: a roofed structure extending from the entrance of a building that is over part of a driveway to shelter those getting in or out of vehicles.