Saturday, September 19, 2015

Little Gull Island Lighthouse, Long Island, New York

31st National Postcard Week
May 4-10, 2014

Little Gull Island Lighthouse

Located on the North Fork of Long Island, NY.  The first lighthouse was built in 1803, at a cost of $15,000.  When the War of 1812 came to eastern Long Island, the British visited and demanded the light be extinguished.  The keeper refused, and the British removed the illuminating apparatus from the lantern.  The proven vulnerability caused the government to erect a hundred foot diameter wall around the tower and keeper's quarters in 1817.   The wall that was built cost $24,500 and was 300 feet in circumference.  In 1978 it was automated, ending 172 years of light keeping tradition on the tiny island.

Photo by Earl Bucken

This postcard is unused. 

No comments: