Cour du Temple entouree de constructions a colombagues du XVI siecle
translation is something like...
Temple courtyard surrounded by buildings with wood of the XVI century.
postmarked in 2012 with four France stamps, one Camp des Milles and three for 0,10
- - - - - - -
Limoges is a city and commune, the capital of the Haute-Vienne department in west-central France. It is known for its medieval porcelain enamels (Limoges enamels) on copper, and for its oak barrels which are used for Cognac production.
In the center of Limoges is the seventeenth century Temple Courtyard (Cour du Temple). It is a paved courtyard with fine half-timbered buildings and columned arcades (succession of arches) and is often characterized as one of the most enchanting places in Limoges.
France stamp 2012
Camp des Milles 0,60
- - - - - - -
The Camp des Milles was a French internment camp (detention center) opened in September 1939, in a former tile factory near the village of Les Milles.
Between 1941 and 1942 Le Camp des Milles was used as a transit camp for Jews, mainly men. Women were at the Centre Bompard in Marseille, while they waited for their visas and anthorisations to emigrate. As emigration became impossible, Les Milles became one of the centres de rassemblement (concentration camp?) before deportation. About 2,000 of the inmates were shipped off to the Drancy internment camp on the way to Auschwitz. After the war, the site was briefly re-opened in 1946 as a factory.