Wednesday, February 13, 2013

World's Largest Saguaro Cactus

World's Largest Saguaro

The largest known Saguaro at Saguaro National Monument in southern Arizona is this huge specimen which grows near the Madrona Ranger Station.  It is over 50 feet high and has 52 arms.  Its weight is estimated to be 14 tons!

From Kodachrome original by Hubert Lowman

unused
- - -
Here is one more example of a Saguaro

Saguaros attain many fantastic shapes during their long reign of life.

unused

- - - - - - -

The saguaro is a large, tree-sized cactus species in the monotypic genus Carnegiea, which can grow to be over 20 meter (~70 ft) tall. It is native to the Sonoran Desert in the U.S. state of Arizona, the Mexican state of Sonora, and some areas of California.  Some specimens may live for more than 150 years.

3 comments:

ONeal said...

Oh my, oh my, oh my! I LOVE Cactus cards!

Postcard Blogger said...

I do believe you are the first person I ever found that loved cactus postcards. being in Florida, I don't think I will ever find one from here for you. But I'll keep my eye out for one ;-)

ONeal said...

That would be freaky if you ever found a Florida-based cactus card. But yes, please grab it for me if it ever happens!