Monday, October 14, 2013

Three Postcard Set to Make an Alligator from St. Augustine, Florida


Souvenir of St. Augustine, Florida

I send you herewith the head of a Gator,
Watch for the mail - it will bring more later.


This city is the oldest continually occupied European settlement in North America.  St. Augustine was founded in 1565 by Don Pedro Menendez of Aviles, Spain who was sent to protect the Spanish Treasure fleets sailing along the coast of Florida.

Two-thirds I am here, in body and soul,
The next is the last and the Gator is whole.

St. Augustine, Florida
A stone fortress was built by the Spanish to protect St. Augustine from English expansion.  Construction of Castillo de San Marcos started in 1672 making it the oldest masonry fortification in the United States.  It stands today as a symbol of Spain's early colonization of our country.

This is the last Card I send you by mail,
The end of the Gator and then end of the "tale."

St. Augustine, Florida
To learn more about this "Tale" and others, visit the St. Augustine Alligator Farm and Zoological Park.  You can see 23 species of crocodilians, rare white alligators, exotic birds, and mammals.  Wildlife shows every hour 10 am to 5 pm.

All three postcards are printed in 2007 but postmarked in 2013.

7 comments:

VioletSky said...

this is a great repro card!
FLA has some pretty neat (and cheesy) cards.

Postcard Blogger said...

true - I do like cheesy cards though (I grew up in Wisconsin! lol)

luvlinens said...

Love these cards. I picked them up a few years back on one of my visits to St. Augustine. I posted them also in a discussion on the postcardcollector site. "Spread a little Sunshine" if you have a moment you might check out the link.

http://www.postcardcollector.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/1192/-spread-a-little-sunshine-were-going-to-florida/p2

Postcard Blogger said...

yep, I found it - I love that forum, I check it almost every day for new posts.

ONeal said...

A 3-part postcard. How fun is that?!
And ha ha ha! on your comment: "I do like cheesy postcards...I grew up in Wisconsin"

Unknown said...

I actually bought these posts cards and am sending them out over the next few months to a friend. I was hoping to find some more "multi part" post cards like this but can't seem to find any!

Anonymous said...

Check eBay